(Return to GatewayforIndia - Tourism)
is situated 1900 feet about the sea level in the Aravali Hills. This
beautiful city was founded by Maharaja Udai Singh in 1559 AD and is named
after him. One of the most romantic cities in Rajasthan, Udaipur is also
known as the city of lakes. The marble palaces, beautifully laid out
gardens and the lakes make Udaipur seem almost like a mirage in the
How to reach Udaipur
By Road -Udaipur is connected by major
road link between Mumbai and Delhi. The Rajasthan, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh
and Madhya Pradesh road transport corporation operate buses to Udaipur
from various region.
By Rail -Udaipur is on the western
railway network. The railway station is about 4 km from the city center.
Udaipur is directly connected by rail with Delhi, Jaipur, Ajmer and
By Air - Indian Airlines Daily
connects Udaipur from Jodhpur, Jaipur, Mumbai and Delhi. Dabok airport is
21km away from the city.
Places of tourist interest
Saheliyon ki Bari -
Maharaja Sangram Singh built it first but it way destroyed
by heavy rains then Maharaja Fateh Singh rebuilt this place. This place
has five beautiful fountains, which are called Swagat Fountain, Savan
Bhadon, Kamal Talai, Raslila and Bin Badal Barsat. In the old times this
place was meant for queens and their friends so it is called Saheliyon ki
Nehru Island Park -
It beautiful garden is situated in the middle of Fateh
Sagar Lake on an island. Beautiful flowers and fountains make it a ideal
place for tourists. Boats are available to take visitors to the island.
Sajjan Nivas Garden -
This is the largest garden of Rajasthan, which covers 100
acres of land. It was built by Maharaja Sajjan Singh (1874-1884). A
library and a zoo are also situated in this garden.
Pratap Memorial -
It is situated on Moti Magari in the city. There is a
bronze statue of Maharana Pratap risidin his horse Chetak. There are some
ruins behind this statue, which were built by Maharaja Udai Singh in 1554
A.D. for his residence. Panoramic view of Udaipur city can be seen from
Fateh Sagar Lake -
Maharaja Jai Singh built it in 1679 and Maharaja Fateh
Singh got it rebuilt in 1884 A.D.
Pichhola Lake -Pichhu
Banjara built it during the reign of Maharaja Lakha in 1362. It is the
oldest lake of Udaipur. It is 3 miles long 2 miles wide and 30 feet deep.
Two palaces are situated in the middle of lake on two islands, which are
known as Jag Nivas and Jag Mandir.
Lake Palace (Jag Nivas) -
This famous palace was built by Maharaja Jagat Singh in 1746. At present
there is a hotel, known as Hotel lake palace.
Maharana Amar Singh started the construction of this Palace
in 1615. And Raja Karan Singh completed it in 1622. Later on it was
extended by Maharana Jagat Singh. In 1622 when Shahjahan rebelled against
Jahangir and took Shelter with Maharana Karan Singh then he was kept here.
It is said that great tombs and garden of this palace inspired him to make
the Taj Mahal.
Maharana Udai Singh started building the biggest palace of
Rjasthan on the Shore of Pichhola Lake in 1559. Rai Angan is the oldest
portion of this palace, which was built by Maharana Udai Singh in 1565.
Every Maharana was crowned here for the first time.
- This beautiful temple is situated on 25 high platforms and is about 200
feet from the Raj Mahal Palace. It was completed by Maharana Jagat Singh
in 1653. This temple contains the idols of Lord Vishnu and Godess Laxmi.
This museum situated near the Palace contains dresses of
different part of Rajasthan, old coins, armaments, pictures and statues.
It also contains the turban of Shahjahan which he exchanged with Maharana
Karan Singh as a token of friendship in 1622.
It was built by Maharaja Sajjan Singh 1884. It is situated
on the highest peak of Udaipur. It was completed by Maharaja Fateh Singh.
The city of Udaipur can be seen from here.
Tourist places near Udaipur
Samundra Lake- This huge lake is
58 kms away from Udaipur .it is also known as Dhebar. It was built by,
Maharaja Jai Singh in 1691. It is 10 miles wide, 6 miles long and 100 feet
deep. The islands in this lake are inhabited by the Bhils (tribals). They
use traditional wood boats to travel. This lake is a part of game
sanctuary established by the state government.
a distance of 64 km from Udaipur is the Rishabhdeo ji temple. The
paintings of girnar & architecture of the temple are worth seeing. The
idol of Rishabhadeo is 4 feet high and made of black stone.
The temple of Ekling ji is 30 kms away from Udaipur.
Maharaja Bappa Rawal built the temple of Ekling ji. Ekling ji is said to
be presiding deity of Mewar Empire and every government work was done by
the name of Ekling ji. There are four-mouthed black idol of Shiva in the
temple. The height of the temple is 60 feet and diameter is 50 feet. The
architecture of the temple represents different aspects of architecture.
Temple of Nagda -
The temple of Nagda is 5 kms away from Ekling ji. Nagda was established by
Nag Ditya in 8th century. It was turned to ruins due to Mughal attacks.
The temple of ‘Sans Bahu’ is beautiful specimen of architecture. There is
a Jain temple of Shantinath, which has 8 feet high idol made of black
marble. It was made in 1437 AD during the reign of Rana Kumbha.
Kankroli is 70 km from Udaipur. It is famous for its Dwarkaji temple. This city was established in 1672 by Maharaja Raj Singh
and therefore it is also known as Raj nagar. It is only 10 miles away from
Chaar bhujaji -
The temple of chaar bhuja ji is 35 km from Kankrole.
The Gurjars of this village worship the temple. There is an idol of chaar
bhuja ji in the temple. The glasswork inside the temple is very beautiful.
A fair is held here every year on Bhadra Shukla Ekadashi (Hindi calendar
date) during which many people come here.
Haldi ghati -
It is the place where the famous battle Haldhi Ghati was
fought between Akbar and Maharana pratap in 1576. In this battle Chetak (Maharana
Pratap’s legendry horse) breathed his last. The tomb of Chetak is also
here. The soil of this place is red and yellow.
Jain temple Ranakpur -This
temple is 170 km from Udaipur. It is a unique specimen of art and
architecture. Being surrounded by the Arawali hills, it is famous all over
the worked. It was built by Dham Shah Porval Jain during the reigns of
Maharaja Kumbha in 1432. Maharaja Kumbha loved architecture and he helped
to complete this temple.