(Return to GatewayforIndia - Tourism)
Maharaja Pratap Singh founded Alwar in 1771 A.D. It is situated about 161
km from Delhi. This city is famous for palaces, dense forest, rapids and
museum. Alwar is about
200 km from Delhi and 107 Km from Jaipur.
How to reach
By road - Alwar is
well connected to different cities around it by road. Alwar is linked
with Bharatpur, Deeg and Jaipur by road. By rail - An exciting and
exotic train 'Fairy Queen', which is the oldest running steam locomotive
in the world, runs from Delhi to Alwar. It takes about 3-4 hours to reach
Alwar. There also other trains traveling from Delhi to Alwar. By Air
- Nearest airports are in Jaipur and Delhi.
Places of tourist interest
The City Palace -
The City Palace, separated from the base of the hill by a picturesque tank
called Sagar, consists of a group of buildings in various styles.
Behind the palace lies
the old temple tank and the cenotaph of Raja Bakhtawar Singh and Rani
Moosi, who performed sati. It is a superb example of early 19th-century Rajput architecture, with its graceful brown Karauli sandstone structure
and its nine white marble canopies.
It is lodged in a portion of Rajmahal (City palace) with a collection of
about 700 manuscripts and painting. Manuscripts are written in Hindi,
Persian and Sanskrit. Here we can see the illustrated scroll of the
Bhagwat Geeta, which is 80 feet long, and an illuminated copy of the Quran
in Arabic with Persian translation in red letters. The armory has old
swords of Akbar, Jahangir, Shahjehan, Nadirshah and Aurangzeb.
Moti Doongri - All that
now exists in Moti Doongri ("Pearl Hill") is a massive fortified wall,
with a flat empty space at the crest of the hill. The elegant hundred
roomed palace that stood here was dynamited out of existence by Maharaja
Bala Qila - Situated on a
craggy hill that dominates the town is Bala Qila. Built on the foundation
of an ancient mud fort constructed in AD 928 by the Nikumbh Rajputs, it
was successively occupied by the warring Mughals Pathans and Jats before
finally being captured by Raja Pratap Singh in 1775.
Mandir -Vijay Mandir is a
sprawling, palace with 105 rooms and a beautifully laid out garden that
lies 6 miles outside Alwar
Sarisksa forest -
This is a famous tiger reserve
that covers an area of 800 sq km in total, with a core area of
approximately 500 sq km.
This sanctuary is surrounded by a ring of hills. This forest was converted
into a wild life reserve in 1955.
SARISKA PALACE - Set inside the Sariska Tiger Reserve this
was actually Maharaja Jai Singh"s hunting lodge, where he would bring the
guests whom he particularly wanted to impress. Kankwari fort - Within
Sariska Tiger Reserve, 12 miles from the gate, lies Kankwari fort.
It is a superb example of a vanadurg, or jungle-fort.
On route to Sariska
13 km from Alwar,
this lake is spread over four square miles and Maharaja Bane Singh built
this lake and a Palace in 1845 A.D. The Palace is open for tourists.
Pandu Pole -
Pandu Pole is 18 km from Sariska and is noted for its historic importance
and natural beauty. It is said that Pandavas spent one year of their
hiding (Agyatwas) in the caves of this mountain.
Neelkanth Mahadev -
Raja Ajaipal built this temple. This
place is 70 km from Alwar surrounded by mountains. A 16 feet high statue
of Digambar Jain Tirthankar can be seen in the ruins of a Jain temple
about one km from the temple of Neelkanth.